While I was on my walk our friend, Mark, stopped to tell me that the piglets were coming! Mark, Jenell, and Tyler had a gilt that was close to farrowing and Scott offered to let them farrow her out in his hog barn. The facilities hadn't been used since before I started dating Scott back in 1999, but this summer with Hot Dog and Pizza hanging out in there and yesterday with the farrowing, it's being put to good use! I have a feeling that next year there will be more than one gilt with piglets occupying the barn - being in there, watching her farrow seemed to bring back a lot of memories for Tom, Corrinne, and Scott, and I believe I heard one of them say, "Now, if only we had three or four more crates filled!"
I had never witnessed farrowing before and Scott and I were anxious to share the experience with Jacob, too! He, as usual, was hesitant to get near the pigs, but Jenell did get a picture of him petting one of the newborn piglets! The gilt had 11, but the last one only lived for a short time after it was born. She was a red-spotted gilt and she had 6 pure black and 5 black and white-belted piglets, including one that Tyler named Sunshine. I'm not sure why - I'll have to ask him. I'll see if I can get some of the pictures from Jenell of the whole group of them! It was pretty amazing to experience!
So, anyway, here's a couple of pictures that Jenell sent to me of Jacob!
Thanks for checking in! God bless! Scott, Kim, and Jacob
9 comments:
Wow!! Those are really good pictures, nice and clear!!! Jacob and the James girls will have a lot to talk about when the girls get their pigs -- the girls can't wait!! I can't believe that you never saw a sow farrow, we must have gotten rid of our hogs while you were still pretty young.
Oh how sweet! Pigs are not my favorite, but they sure are cute when they are babies!!! And they do taste good when they get older. :)
Sssssuuuuuuiiieeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!! Here piggy piggy!!! :)
Love and hugs to Jacob and his old mom.
~Jen
Please name one Wilbur for me! They are so cute and that must hvae been neat to watch. Jacob looks like he is getting taller! Thanks for posting and I hope you had a marvelous birthday watching the new piglets arrive!
Love Jacob's coat also!
Love - Kori
The pictures are really nice! Jenell has the same camera as Kelly's first digital. It makes me want a nice camera!
Kim
ps - Jen, you crack me up!!!
What a cool experience for Jacob! I bet those little piglets running around are so darn cute!!!
Happy Belated Birthday to my older cousin, too LOL :)
Hi everybody,
Thanks for the pictures. It looks like Grandpa Tom is much happier to be holding his growing grandson than to be holding any piggies!
Thanks to Grandma Corrinne for sending these on to her friend in St. Paul.
Susan D.
The girls are so jealous that Jacob has piglets already. They can hardly wait to get theirs. They are suppose to clean the barn out this weekend and set up a pen for them. I hope we know what we're getting ourselves into. Jacob looks so cute out there! I love the way those Hamp piglets look!
kj
Kim that looks like a nice barn. Jacob will want to fill it with pigs get ready for a wild ride. aunt Janet
Jacob aren't we going to get to see pictures of your and mommy's garden? We miss your updates!
Post a Comment