Despite the nasty weather recently (temps were back down to twenty below last week), we've had a few opportunities to get ourselves into the spring state of mind. Nothing says spring is coming like calves running around (unless you're the James' then summer may be coming too! sorry Karen, couldn't resist!). Calving started for Scott last week and has been keeping him extremely busy! He hasn't had too many sets of twins in the past few years; maybe one set a year. This year, he's already had four sets of twins; the fourth arrived this morning. It's like Christmas for him. He AIs the majority of his and his dad's cows and is anxious each year to see how the genetics work together. I get a report every night of what cows have calved, what sex the calf is, what color it is, and whether or not that is what he was hoping for. I believe Scott is thankful that I am interested in hearing the report every night; I hope he's thankful, anyway!
I enjoy the cattle and I believe someone else in our family enjoys them too. Jacob and I ventured to the farm yesterday to see the calves. Though he wouldn't walk by himself in the snow, he did eventually make it to the barns to observe all of the action. At first he had a stare-down with the heifers. They were just as curious of Jacob as he was of them. It lasted for about five minutes before I finally went over and pulled him along to the calving barn. The cows bellering for their calves startled him at first, but he eventually warmed up to them. It was interesting to watch his reaction to everything the cattle did and eventually, he got comfortable enough to stick his hand through the fence to reach one of the heifers. She wasn't quite as comfortable with the little grey glove reaching for her, but maybe some other time.
Another reminder of spring we've had are the flowers that Grandma sent me for my birthday. I was surprised to get a vase of daisies and carnations delivered to my house last weekend. I told Grandma that I would post a picture, but obviously I haven't been online much lately. So, I took a couple of pictures today and though I had to pull some of the greenery out, the daisies are going strong still and remind me every day that spring is just around the corner!
Hopefully you all are experiencing a taste of spring with us! Have a great week!
Thanks for checking in. God bless! Scott, Kim, and Jacob
NOTE: I wrote this passage on Monday however, just got the pictures uploaded today (Sat.). The temp today is 26 degrees. Not so spring-like!
5 comments:
Happy to send you a breath of spring, Kim, and hope you've en-
joyed them. It's a bummer to have your birthday in February or March,
don't you agree??
The new calves are absolutely gor-
geous,so pretty and cute. I love new babies of any species,except for things like crocodiles!!!And seeing Jacob enjoying them is a good thing to see, hope it sticks with him for a long time to come!!
Happy to send you a breath of spring, Kim, and hope you've en-
joyed them. It's a bummer to have your birthday in February or March,
don't you agree??
The new calves are absolutely gor-
geous,so pretty and cute. I love new babies of any species,except for things like crocodiles!!!And seeing Jacob enjoying them is a good thing to see, hope it sticks with him for a long time to come!!
That little boy is soooo darn cute all bundled up!! I want to squeeze him!! Calves are cute as always, it makes me miss not being able to come up over spring break.
Take Care,
Aunt Gail
Kendall and I were just talking about the good ole spring break times! Those were fun! We're anxious for July! Can't wait for you guys to come up!
SO I guess I don't know anything about cows/calves but they sure are cute!! Jacob looks like he's really checking them over. you can almost see him saying "looking good looking good!"
Love you stay in touch!
Alissa
Post a Comment