Saturday, June 14, 2008

On The Road Again

Our journey started on June 2 when Kori, Mom, Jacob, and I headed off to Illinois. Mom and Kori had flown up for a relatives wedding in Bemidji and I was planning my annual "Midwest Tour" so I offered to deliver them home. Though I woke up late the morning of our departure, we had a good start and made it on time to our first destination, LaSalle, Illinois. Here we met Grandpa Cooper so he could take Mom the remaining two hours to Manito.
From LaSalle, Kori, Jacob, and I made our way through the crazy traffic south of Chicago to Kouts, Indiana - Kori and Ben's residence. We all were excited to finally get to a house and stretch our legs, but none more than Jacob. He went nuts running around Kori's house, giggling and getting into everything!
The next afternoon, Jacob and I made our way to the Windy City. We had a group of my friends from high school to visit and catch up with! Jacob, again, was wonderful. Though I think he touched everything electronic in every body's apartment, I was proud of how social and well behaved he was! We had a good time seeing everybody and visiting! Thanks for the fun evening girls!
From Chicago we traveled south to Manito. This is where the anxious cousins awaited Jacob's arrival! We joked that Jacob probably felt like he was at daycare 24/7! He has had such a good time playing with the girls and they've been so good to include Jacob and help me take care of him. We had a fun little reunion weekend of sorts - minus Kendall :( Kori and Ben, and Kelly all came to Manito to hang out for a couple of days. Friday night we traveled to Dad's for supper and pictures, Saturday night Aunt Gail watched all the kids so my sisters, two of my brothers-in law, and I could go out to eat, and Sunday we all went to church and had dinner at Mom's! What a fun weekend! Jacob and I spent last week relaxing at Karen's and playing with the girls!
Friday, after a week of recuperation from our travels, Jacob and I made our way even farther south to Kelly and Nick's (Winsor, Illinois). There we met up with Kori and Ben again and spent the evening visiting and watching "Indiana Jones". Saturday morning Kelly, Kori, and I played cards and then Jacob and I packed up to travel back to Manito, where we will wait for an open interstate.
Our plans were to leave in order to make it back to Clearbrook in time for Father's Day however, the weather has had something else in mind. Apparently we're stuck in Illinois until some roads clear up in either Iowa or Wisconsin. It's a mess!
Until then, here's a few pictures from our last two weeks! Hope everybody is having a great summer and we can't wait to see all of you up in Minnesota soon!
Thanks for checking in! God bless! Scott, Kim, and Jacob




The story behind these pictures: I decided to purchase a DVD player for our car specifically for these trips and nothing else. Two hours into our 12-hour journey, my mom and Kori started implying that I should let Jacob watch one of his movies. I resisted and reminded them that the DVD player was only going to be for the moments when nothing else can be done to satisfy Jacob. I did not buy it so he could sit zoned into a TV for 12 hours! Six hours into the trip, toys and sippy cups started flying, and though I was fine with letting him throw his fit for as long as he needed, Mom and Kori decided it was time for a movie. These pictures show how Jacob traveled for the majority of the 2nd half of our trip. Needless to say, after I dropped Kori and Mom off, Jacob had to figure out how to entertain himself without the DVD player!


Ella catching some rays!

Jacob tolerates the heat as well as Scott, which is not at all. It took Ella blowing bubbles for him at the ballgame to keep him from having a meltdown! It was 92 degrees and sticky this day!

We had fun watching Emma and Anna playing baseball!


Jacob followed the 4-wheeler around until Uncle Chris gave him a ride!

The wind blew throughout our entire first week in Illinois.


Grandpa Rankin restored our old pedal tractor and built a hayrack just like the one I grew up with.


One of Jacob's favorite pastimes was watching "Thomas" with the girls!

Jacob didn't really warm up to the big pool, but he had fun playing in the little pool and sandbox!


Of course, Jacob took every opportunity to go look at the cows!

Jacob and Ella playing hide-and-go-seek in the closet.




The girls collected three caterpillars one evening and a few days later, this is what they found! It was their show-and-tell for every person who walked through their door!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now it's time for Grandma A. to post a note letting Kim and Jacob know that they are being missed in Minnesota.

Anonymous said...

Safe travels to you all sounds like you are having a blast!!Isn't it nice to have a boy who is a good traveler?
Will you guys be around for rodeo days? I am planning to come up hopefully with John in tow - I'm not much for the actual rodeo watching but NEED to see my girls! and their babies!
A

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, we need to talk more! Danny and I were in Chicago from June 11-15th. I don't know if you were there at all during that time, but if we would have known that would have been great fun!! Well August is quickly approaching and we will be seeing you soon! Hope you made it back to MN ok!

Anonymous said...

FYI, that was me who just posted that last comment! That is what happens after working 12 hour night shift - I forget to sign my name on things! I once had a story call me because they hadn't noticed that I didn't sign a check after working one day. Oh and I babble too. Ok, going to bed now.
Nicole