Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Potty Training Boot Camp

I had decided last week that we were going to start the hard-core process of potty training. It began with the purchase of 14 pairs of teeny tiny Disney character and baseball decorated underwear, (which I had to show our friends this weekend and was told by our male friends that Jacob will be totally embarrassed when he gets older and finds out that I showed them his first underwear! I thought they were too cute not to show off!).
A wrestling match between Jacob and myself on Monday morning started our battle. Jacob doesn't handle new things or change very well (I had to tackle him to get shorts on him for the first time this year and he has yet to wear his swim trunks due to the fight he puts up). So, as you can imagine, underwear was no less of a challenge. I literally had to hold him down on his changing table with one hand while attempting to put underwear on him with the other. Then, without thinking of the consequences of my actions, I put a sleeveless shirt on him for the first time as well. The child immediately went into his screaming, body-whaling, "I can't take this much change", fit! I quickly changed his shirt which seemed to make him happy and afterwards I realized that may have been an okay move. I think it took his mind off of the new feeling of underwear!
Anyway, right away, we went through four pairs of underwear. I never realized how often this kid wet in his diaper! I quickly became discouraged and figured this would be a never ending battle with my headstrong two-year old. Though Jacob has used the toilet before, it's always been just before his bath and it always took a lot of persuasion. The morning proved to be just as difficult. Jacob got to wear a diaper during his afternoon nap, but I put a new pair of underwear on, the Lightening McQueen ones if I remember correctly, as soon as he woke up. It was like a switch had turned on during his nap! He only wet one more pair the rest of the day and that time he stopped himself so he could make it to the toilet! I was so impressed!!
Today, again, he's done really well! It's 3:00 and he's only wet one pair of underwear! I ask him continually if he has to go potty and he'll tell me no. When he needs to he comes running to me yelling, "Mommy, pawee in da toyweh!, Mommy, pawee in da toyweh!" He even stopped playing outside and came to tell me he had to go.
I'm sure we'll have more obstacles, but for working at this for just a day and a half, I think the little guy is doing quite well! I can't believe he's this old already! It makes me so sad!

Thanks for checking in! God bless! Scott, Kim, and Jacob


Checking out his new apparel !

So proud!





Jacob will figure out a way to pull anything with his riding toys.



Gretchen (Kechen) and Jacob

7 comments:

Grandma Cooper said...

Wow, I'm impressed!! I know he can turn it on and off so maybe he's really ready!! And I love the pulling-the-cooler picture! What a boy he is!!

Anonymous said...

I wasn't sure if he was pushing or smiling in that one picture! hehehe!

kelly

Anonymous said...

Way to go Jacob! I will have to send some more undies his way! I hope this cycle continues! He is so smart!
Love - Kori

Brittany said...

Those pictures are going to be very valuable to you someday! :)

Rankin Family said...

yeah!!!!! so excited! when Daniel got his McQueen Undies he wore them backwards so he could see McQueen!!
Congratulations!

Alissa said...

WOOHOO JACOB!!!
James is headed to potty training bootcamp this weekend. He's been into taking off his diaper if its wet (he's actually streaking now) and I think yesterday he tried to go in the potty but couldn't get his shorts off. I of course just thought he was playing in the bathroom so yelled at him to get out of there...OOPS!
As far as clothes changing with the seasons it is a constant battle with James. He even fights long sleeve to t-shirt. Our boys are too similar!

The James Gang said...

He has such an imagination when playing! I'm so glad he's off on the right foot with the potty training - you know how I hate changing his diapers (haha)! Now you'll see how much the diapers helped to hold his pants up! Without the padding of the diaper, his pants will always be falling off! Love you and miss you!