Tuesday, June 9, 2009

To Market, To Market, To Buy A Fat Pig...

...Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety Jig. To Market, To Market, To Buy A Fat Hog. Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety Jog.

Funny how the silly, little rhymes that Grandma Rankin said to us throughout our childhoods resurface so many years later! I say this rhyme all the time when Jacob and I drive up our lane! I hope he'll remember it just as long!

On with the post...

Jacob would like to introduce his most recent additions to the farm: Hot Dog and Pizza! The two pigs were picked up on Friday afternoon and Jacob has visited them twice a day, every day since, being sure to put his rain boots and John Deere hat on before he leaves. He's even become obsessive about hanging his hat on the stair rail, exactly where Scott hangs his.
Now, if you've heard Jacob talk about cows you would guess that he would walk right up to them. Not true. He's a big talker and the same goes with the pigs. I do, however, have to give him credit. By the third day, Jacob actually got in the pen with me, walked up to the pigs, squatted, and talked to them as if they were babies! So cute! He won't quite touch them yet, but he takes great pride in pouring the feed into their feeder and in being the first to walk into the hog barn each time we're there.
As for the names, Aunt Kori and Aunt Kendall discussed names for Jacob's pigs and decided on Hot Dog and Pizza because they like the way Jacob says those words, "Hah Dah" and "Teetzah", and they're sort of ironic too. I am taking suggestions if anybody comes up with anything else. I don't want to have the most confused two-year old ever! He already calls Mickey Mouse, "Hot Dog" because of the "Hot Dog, Hog Dog, Hot Diggety Dog" song on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. If nothing better pops up, the names shall remain.
Anyway, here's some pictures of our two cute little pigs! Hopefully Jacob is brave enough to show them at the fair in a couple of months! Grandpa Anderson is betting that the pigs will be around for quite awhile since Kendall, Jacob, and I seem to have become quite attached to them! We've only had them for four days and I have to admit, I'm not too thrilled of the thought of Jacob's first pigs going to the butcher!

Thanks for checking in! God bless! Scott, Kim, and Jacob


On our way to pick up the pigs!

Not so sure of this new place!

Getting a little braver!

Not sure of touching them just yet!

I think he likes them!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! lil piggies are so cute! Quite the little farmer you have there.
Can't wait to see a little video of Jacob talking to Hot Dog and Pizza
A

Grandma Cooper said...

I envisioned smaller pigs when I was reading your post!!! Can't wait to see pictures as time passes with these critters! I'm not sure of the names, though -- naming an animal that might end up on your plate a food name just doesn't seem right.

Nick and Kelly McCormick said...

In the words of Anna, "mmmm...meat"! I can't believe you're thinking he'll show them! I will be SO impressed if he does...he's 2!

Anonymous said...

I dont think I can truely pass judgment on those pigs untill after the BBQ, I know sombody who makes great ribs(me)! Hey since aunt kendall and aunt kori were so interested in the names you could have named them...well...oh never mind.

Ben

Anonymous said...

Ben - you are not a very nice husband! As for the pictures, I love them! Jacob is being so brave! I can't wait to come up so he can show me his pigs! Love - Kori

The James Gang said...

It will be so cute if he shows them at the fair! He seems a little braver with them than he did with the cows - gradually work him to bigger animals - good plan!