Sunday, January 6, 2008

Happy Birthday Jacob!

The year in pictures:


















Wow, the time flies, doesn't it! Friday morning at 7:30 Scott asked me, "Do you remember what we were doing on this Friday last year!" We've reminisced numerous times throughout the year, but it was so much more special this weekend! One of our favorite memories we talked about was when we received our "ticket to Hollywood"as we called it (yes, American Idol viewers that's what we felt like). We walked out of the doctor's office on Thursday the 4th with a pink piece of paper giving us the information we needed for our preparation for induction the next morning. Scott joked that day that he would love to run out into the waiting room yelling to all of the other very pregnant women, "We made it! We made it to Hollywood" That's how we felt anyway; "we've finally made it to the day we'd been waiting for!!"
We had talked on the way to that doctor's appointment about how we had both been praying and hoping the doctor would say, "Okay, let's go ahead and get this baby out!", though neither of us thought we would be so lucky! At the appointment, I decided to go ahead and voice my opinions of how I was ready and really thought it was the right time (as I'm sure I had said just the same the week before). Then, Scott voiced his opinion of, "No, really today's not a good day. I have to haul cattle as soon as we get home!" To my complete shock, the doctor responded with, "Well, what about tomorrow then? Do you have to do any cattle work tomorrow?" Scott says he'll never forget the look on my face! I'm imagining it as a mixture of complete joy with a hint of terror...or maybe complete terror with a hint of joy! Either way, it was a surprise to both of us and after flashing our pink "ticket"around as we left the clinic, we sat in the car, looked at each other, and I actually said, "Oh my gosh! We're having a baby tomorrow! What have we done!!"
Now, I was talking to my mom yesterday and discussed how Scott and I have both spent some time thinking back this weekend to a year ago and all of the events that went on and she said she does the same still whenever one of us girl's birthdays rolls around. I believe I remember the story mom always told me about the day I was born. I think she and Dad were at a basketball game in Tremont on the night of the 29th and she wasn't feeling very well. She was two weeks overdue; I was supposed to be her February baby. I say, good thing I waited so long or else maybe Kendall wouldn't have ever had the chance to be the February baby! Anyway, I'm having troubles remembering the other details and who knows, maybe I've mixed them up with details of my sister's births, but I do remember she and Dad telling me that they were offered the chance to fib and say that I was born on the 29th of February instead of the 1st of March so that I would have a unique birthday! Crazy, I know!
Having thought about this story, I tried to think of the things we would get to tell Jacob when he's older.
  • I believe one thing would be the fact that Daddy almost passed out before the pushing even started and Mommy told him he couldn't leave.
  • Another would be that as soon as Mommy started giving up, Daddy wouldn't let me!
  • Of course we'd have to tell about Aunt Karen and Grandpa Rankin both calling numerous times during the delivery until Daddy finally answered the phone and told them both, "She's pushing! We'll call you when we're done!"
  • We'd tell him that Sharon Larson came to check in on Mommy and Daddy that afternoon before he was born.
  • I'm sure Daddy will tell him that he was born during "King of the Hill", one of our favorite shows.

Well, anyway, I'm sure the list could go on and on, but these are a few things that we like to talk about and hope that Jacob will enjoy hearing for years down the road.
Of course, before Jacob was born, we thought about how much our lives were going to change after this new life came along. However, I know we did not come close to understanding how much this gift that God gave us would bless our lives and the lives of so many others who care for him. We are so thankful for the joys, and trials too, that have come with Jacob and can't wait to discover more of the gifts he has to share with us!

The Birthday Cupcake That Took Jacob Ten Minutes to Eat
sorry for the scary red-eyes




"Is this a trick?"

"Are you sure I'm supposed to eat this?"

"Wow, this is really good!"

"I'd better hurry before they take it away!"
Thanks for checking in! Love and God Bless! Scott, Kim, and Jacob

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JACOB!!!!!

When I think back to that day one year ago, Grandpa Cooper and I were so glad that you were induced because that enabled us to make the 12 hour trip and get up there shortly after Jacob's birth. Of course, we were thinking he would be born shortly after noon that day, and not RIGHT as we got into Bemidji!!! AND it took all our willpower to not call and see how things were going!! (I remember what that was like when I had some of my girls!!) We had Kendall with us as a surprise for you two but I couldn't keep it quiet when Scott told me "it" was a boy!!! I wasn't suppose to tell Kendall so that when Scott called her, she would genuinely be surprised, but I couldn't help saying "A boy????"
And I must tell everyone, that when we visited you after Christmas, what a fun boy to be with! His first five-six (?)months were so trying, that it's hard to believe that he'll just go play and go down for naps and bedtime really good!! (Knock on wood!!!) We love you, Jacob!!!

Nick and Kelly McCormick said...

I will always associate Jacob's birthday with my last day at John Deere. I remember, I turned in my badge at the security desk, walked out to my car with my box of office stuff, got in the car, and called you guys as I drove out of the parking lot. I was told you were pushing, and an hour later I got the call that it was a boy!! Yeah!!

Boy how time has flown!!

Happy Birthday, Jacob!

Anderson said...

I was going to put on the post that I wanted to post yesterday, on Jacob's birthday, however I wanted pictures of him with his cupcake and that didn't end up happening until seven last night so it was late by the time I got pictures downloaded onto the computer!

Grandma Budke said...

Happy Birthday,Jacob!!!!I certainly
hope you are enjoying all the acclaim that you're entitled to!
It is not every day that you can claim your very FIRST birthday and you surely looked like the cupcake was GOOD!(Scary red eyes and all!!)
Congratulations to you AND your
parents---you're becoming a super
kid!!!

Anonymous said...

Kim and Scott,
Congratulations and making through your first year!! I meant to call Saturday but since Jacob would have no idea what I was talking about decided to wait to blog. It is amazing how all the memories of that day come flooding back. The boys will be 18 in a couple weeks and I've already started to remember the last couple of weeks of my pregnancy.

Jacob is quite adorable and it is so fun to watch him grow through this blog.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACOB!!!

Love you all,
Aunt Gail

Anonymous said...

I can't believe he is already 1!!! He has grown up so fast - time to start thinking about having another one, Kim!

We love you, Jacob and Happy Number 1!!

Anonymous said...

AH! I can't believe I spaced it!
HAPYY BIRTHDAY JACOB!!
Maybe next time I come up the boys can play.
Love you all!
A

Anonymous said...

Happy First Birthday Jacob!
Kim, thank you so much for starting this blog and keeping it so up-to-date. It's been so nice to see Jacob growing and hear about all your adventures over the past year. It makes the distance between Chicago and Clearbrook seem not quite as far!

Rhandi said...

I must say that this post made me cry!! It could be a hormonal thing but hearing and seeing all of your pride and joy with Jacob has been so wonderful. Thanks for making the time to do this and consistently brightening my day :) Happy Birthday, Jacob!!!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it has been a year since Jacob was born. What a sweetheart! Your mom keeps me informed of any fun stories. I love this blog. It makes my day!
Happy 1st birthday, Jacob!
Connie Friedrich
PS I can't get in to leave a message to Rhandi. Do you know what I could do?

Anonymous said...

Kim, I think some of the facts about your birth included:
your mom cleaning the cupboards, riding in the grain truck a couple of times that week trying to get you here since you were overdue by 10 days to 2 weeks. We debated about going to the ballgame, your mom said not to worry, but guess what. At least that is the way I remember it. Dad

Jacob, Happy belated birthday.
We loved the cupcake pictures.
Grandpa said for mom to give you one daily so you know what to do the next time.

Anonymous said...

Hey Andersons,
I swear kim yo make me cry more offten!! very sweet, glad to see him grow in to such a cute little guy, I love it, he didnt want to touch the cupcake!
Happy # 1 Jacob
Amy, Nick and the kids!!