Thursday, November 1, 2007

Lions and Tigers and Jacob, Oh My!

Yes, you guessed it! Jacob was a bear for Halloween and, of course, there is a story to go along with the costume!
I had decided about a week ago that we weren't going to do the Halloween "thing" with Jacob this year. I was never into dressing up for Halloween, even in elementary; I always opted to play basketball in the gym with those who were in too much trouble to be in the Halloween parade. That was much more fun for me! Anyway, last weekend, I glanced at some costumes and nothing jumped out at me so that confirmed my decision. That is, until Tuesday evening, when a friend of ours brought over the cutest pumpkin treat bag she had made for Jacob. It's adorable! I started feeling guilty while thinking about how much time she put into that pumpkin and how little time I had put into finding a costume for Jacob.
I directed my search to the internet, which led me to the most adorable costumes that cost $60 and also to the Martha Stewart web page for make-it-yourself costumes. I scrolled through those options and found nothing I was willing to dress my son up as. I wanted to find a monkey costume because he loves bananas and one of the ladies who lives down the hall from his daycare gave him a miniature banana for Halloween. It's so cute!
I had no luck on the internet and Jacob had woken up from his nap so I ventured down to his closet to see what I could put together. By this time, Scott was home and kept reminding me that he thought there was a bear suit in the closet but I disagreed. I dug and dug and found a light blue woolly looking winter suit that had a hood with ears and I thought I had it figured out; Jacob would be a lamb! I would bleach the suit, pin some cotton or something for a little tail and he would be an adorable lamb! I presented my plan to Scott, who replied, "Who in the world is a lamb for Halloween! Are you serious?" Well, I thought the costume was cute, however Scott thought otherwise and still persisted that there was a bear suit in the closet! In hopes to end his nagging about the bear suit, I went back to the closet yelling, "There is NOT a...How did you know that there was a bear suit in here?"
I had forgotten about this adorable bear winter suit that Jacob had gotten at his shower from, I believe, Judy Engebretson. It's super soft and, as we put it on Jacob we realized, it's almost too small too. But, it fit and he was so stinkin' cute!
So, to finally end this long story, here's some pictures of Jacob last night as we Trick-or-Treated all night to Grandma and Grandpa Anderson's and Aunt Kendall's. That was about all we could handle, too! Sorry, my story is so long, but I can't blog and not write a novel!
We hope everybody is enjoying their fall so far! Have a wonderful weekend and thanks for keeping in touch!
Oh, we have a video of Jacob and Kendall but I believe Kendall was going to post it on the Rankin Girls blog. So, you'll have to check on their for it sometime!



We call this picture, "Roar! Scared you didn't I?"

My favorite part of the costume...the paws!




I posted this picture because you can see his new front tooth coming in.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you hate it when the men are right and we are so obviously wrong!?!
Jacob is absolutely too adorable for words! And his pumpkin bag is super fun!
Alissa

Grandma Budke said...

What an adorable bear Jacob made.I agree the paws really do the job and I'm so happy you dug it out!!!

Anonymous said...

Looking at the first picture, I couldn't see anything, then I saw the paws!!!! I LOVE the picture of you and Jacob and the one of Jacob and Scott. Those are really good!! And he is soooo cute; I can't believe you ever worried about not having a cute kid!!! It won't be long before he can wear one of the clown costumes that Great-Grandma Rankin made for Karen and Kelly when they were little, and have since been worn by the rest of you girls, Matt and Mark, and now Karen's girls.

Anonymous said...

He is sooo cute!! I'm thinking he will be walking before he gets to Illinois in a few weeks. I too loved the picture of Kim and Jacob. The one of Scott and Jacob is cute too.

See ya in a few weeks.