Monday, June 11, 2007

Let Me Help You With That

Last week, our household had the excitement of getting a new dishwasher! While Scott was hard at work installing the new contraption, Kendall and I ran to the grocery store, leaving a smiling Jacob. When we returned, Jacob was no longer playing joyfully under his barn, but was instead sitting in the middle of the kitchen, happy as could be in his Bumbo. Scott exclaimed that as soon as we left Jacob decided to fuss and would not stop for anything. Finally, Scott decided to put Jacob in his Bumbo in the kitchen next to the dishwasher so that he could keep an eye on him and still work on his frustrating task. What a way to lighten Daddy's day! Jacob was as happy as could be watching and talking as Scott continued. Scott was so proud of his little helper!



That same day, Jacob decided he needed to help me on the computer and take a stab at Scott's cell phone too. He enjoys sitting at the computer with me most days. At first, he was simply delighted at watching the screen scroll around and observing all of the colors. Now, however, things aren't so simple with Jacob on my lap. He's more interested in my fingers moving and making the clicking sounds on the keyboard. He has now figured out how to push the buttons and make the sound himself. His determination makes him a handful while I'm at the computer with him on my lap. Today, I introduced him to the calculator hoping it would keep him entertained so I could do what I needed on the computer. It worked, until the moment my fingers touched the keyboard. The calculator was dropped and he was instantly pushing keys!
He also loves Scott's cell phone. He starts kicking his legs and reaching for it whenever Scott starts to give it to him. It works as both a sound and light show and a chew toy!




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is he getting any easier for you? He looks so much happier these days!!

Love you guys,
Aunt Gail

Anderson said...

He is soooo much happier! He's still very demanding as far as wanting someone to entertain him, but so much better than before! Last night he slept for six hours (knock on wood)! He'll probably only sleep for three now that I just wrote that! He'll throw fits about certain things now (getting buckled into his carseat and getting dressed after his bath) and he still fights sleeping, but every day is so enjoyable and a lot less frustrating!

Kim

Anonymous said...

Should we try to find an old keyboard that he can play with on the floor and bring it up with us next week? Does anyone have one, or an old cell phone they don't need? I can't wait until he finds all his dad's toy tractors, etc. on the shelves in the office!!!! Maybe you guys need to start looking for display cases like his Uncle Chris has!!!

Never mind about the keyboard. I was talking to Gina and she gave me an old one. Now I just need to track down an old cell phone, if you want me to.