Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Five Months!




Five months today and this is how you will most often find Jacob; searching for what's behind him, then immediately flinging his legs up to his mouth, then back to stretching to see what's behind him, and then instantly reaching for his feet again. He's such entertainment for us. The day these pictures were taken, he was in our bedroom by himself and we kept hearing him "talking". He'd struggle to see the TV behind him, then after a few seconds, plop back down to reach for his feet...so, incredibly, funny!
He's recently picked up on the infamous game of "Peek-a-Boo"! Scott plays this much more to Jacob's liking than I. He breaks out the funny noises which always result in a deep belly laugh from Jacob! I wish I could post that on the blog! What a fun sound!
Oh yes, Jacob made an unexpected trip to the doctor yesterday. Just an overly concerned mom...again! I have to admit, though, many, many new mothers I talk to are much worse! Anyway, Jacob was gagging uncontrollably yesterday afternoon. Twice to the extreme of him not being able to breathe and then vomiting. So, I took him to the doctor just to make sure he did not have anything caught in his throat (he had his first taste of newspaper last week!), and he didn't, thank goodness. He is just slobbering even more than before and made himself gag...a lot. He hasn't done it today, thankfully! It was not a fun experience, at all. Scott and I felt completely helpless, watching him struggle and trying to calm him down. The doctor felt for teeth and said that nothing was coming through right now, but it won't be long. Jacob was also weighed and is now 15 pounds and 13 ounces! Kendall and Scott kept commenting tonight on how chubby his face has gotten. I'll take some pictures tomorrow of him and you can see if he looks different to you.
As for other things that Jacob keeps busy with, let's see:
-sucking on his fist still
-slobbering still (evidently more than before)
-grabbing anything he can reach and trying so hard to reach for anything he wants to grab
-putting everything he grabs into his mouth
-moaning with his eyes closed as he's being rocked to sleep as if he's letting us know he does not approve of the nap
-eating cereal from a spoon (so much better than before!)
-rediscovering his tongue (it's always sticking out!)
-clicking his tongue on the top of his mouth (I hope this isn't like a nervous habit or something)
-holding his arms up when he expects to be picked up (which is more often than not)
-holding one leg under the faucet in the tub so that water splashes all over
-laughing, smiling, and talking
-loving Aunt Kendall (she's sure all the other aunts are going to be jealous...if he hears her voice he immediately starts searching for her)
-making us laugh and smile more and more!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can he not figure out that if he's on his tummy, he can look up and watch TV? What a funny kid -- watching TV on his back!!! I can't wait to see him and hear him laugh, there's nothing like those belly laughs that babies have!! Mark said, again, last night to figure out when we can make a trip up there. I'll have to talk to you about that. Start preparing Scott!!!!

Anonymous said...

He really is growing and trust me on this one...IT DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN IT IS RIGHT NOW!!! Mark and Matt are more of a handful now than ever before. Matt just got caught drinking (at our house no less)soooo, enjoy this, the hard work is yet to come!!!

Love you guys,
Aunt Gail

Grandma Budke said...

What a joy it has been watching Jacob growing through this blog! I wish blogspots had been around for the girls when they were babies.
We all would have enjoyed watching them grow as we have truly enjoyed
Jacob.
It seems impossible that he is five
months old, soon he will be creep-
ing and then crawling,pulling up and then WATCH OUT--toddling,walk-
ing, climbing!!!!
Looking forward to seeing you in
July. Love,
Grandma B.

Nick and Kelly McCormick said...

Kim, it's just one month from tomorrow when you might be home in Illinois! And then we'll all get to see the new chunky Jacob! I can't wait to see his new tricks in person and hold the little guy again!

Love,

Aunt Kelly