Thursday, March 22, 2007

Mom, Dad...I have a tongue!

The past few days have been very enjoyable with Jacob, as we believe his stomach has finally settled down after starting him on a strictly soy formula diet. The days are much more enjoyable and nights seem so much easier! Jacob rarely works himself up to the screaming fits we used to hear so often and his "happy times" now outnumber his "fussy times"!
Jacob has also started what the professionals call "sleep training"! Who knew there was a name for the process of getting your child to lay down to take naps and sleep at night? We sure didn't! Anyway, we started putting Jacob to sleep in his crib downstairs. It has been so much easier than we thought. At first we ran into troubles as we were rocking Jacob to sleep, then trying to lay him in bed. This did not sit well with Jacob at all. He would wake up instantly screaming and would take forever to settle down again. So, we began just lying him in his crib once he started getting tired! This seems to work. He cries/fusses for about 5 minutes and then he's asleep for usually an hour and a half to two hours during the day and anywhere from three to four and a half hours at night! He might wake up once or twice and fuss for a couple of minutes but then falls right back to sleep again! How wonderful! What a difference this has made in our lives! I find myself having so much more time during the day now that I'm not spending most of it trying to get him to sleep! We noticed that Jacob would fight going to sleep! What two month old doesn't want to sleep we wondered! Ours...and many others, we found out! We read that many babies Jacob's age have brains that want to keep going and going but their bodies are telling them something different. This, we learned, is why Jacob would miss naps and sometimes take numerous attempts to get to sleep! The professionals' advice is to lie the baby down to sleep as soon as he shows any signs of being tired and also to complete the same routine before each sleep period. They seem to know what they're talking about! We began this practice with Jacob and it's helped tremendously in the sleep department!!
Jacob doesn't want to leave us completely unpuzzled, however! For the past three or four days, he has not wanted to eat during the day! He'll gobble his bottles down at night and then starting at his 8:00am feeding he spits the bottle out and throws a fit. We're confused! Today, for instance, he was happy all day, but would only eat around an ounce when he woke up hungry. After that ounce, he smiles and coos and will either throw a fit if we try to give him the bottle or else just try to spit it out! He acts hungry, but doesn't want the bottle. What is with this kid!? He has to keep us guessing!
Of course, as soon as we think we have Jacob figured out, he throws us for a loop again. So, maybe by this time next week, we'll be wondering what else we can do to get him to sleep better! As puzzling as he may be, he's really been an amazing baby so far and from what we hear, it only gets better! Sorry this got so long. I just thought I would post his situation on here instead of telling the same story to each of you individually!
Thanks for viewing!
Oh, by the way, Jacob has found his tongue, in case you didn't notice, and entertains us regularly with the different faces he makes while sticking it out!!







A day late:
Happy Birthday Aunt Kelly!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim,what delightful pictures!!And how wonderful that Jacob is devel-
oping normally. I always thought that babys finding their tongues is
a milestone and their faces are so
filled with "what IS that? and it
must be great 'cause Mom and Dad are laughing".
Doesn't this just make you wonder...what's next on his agenda?
Love,Grandma Budke

Anonymous said...

Kim, I'm sorry I've been so slow
writing to you and thanking you for that nice weekend! I enjoyed
every moment!!! I just got a new
tower for my computer and since I'm
computer illiterate and my typing
is slow, it has been a challenge.
The geeks(your Mom and Stacy) have helped tremendously guiding me to
the blogspot and then to commenting.Finally, I've read it all!! And everyone's comments as well!! I can't get over all the
technology involved!!!!!
Much love to all three of you,
Grandma Budke
P.S. I think Jacob is a darling
child and gets cuter and cuter. I
loved getting to hold him, even if Anna feels I was a "baby hog". That's a perk of being one of his
great- grandmothers! Grandma

Anonymous said...

Kim and Scott,
Love the pictures, he looks sooo happy!! I am a little disturbed by the brown spot on your finger in the first picture though, it looks a little gross!! What is it???

Can't wait to see you guys, what day are you coming anyway???

Aunt Gail

Anonymous said...

Aunt Gail,
Scott was mad at me for putting that picture in because he has an iodine stain on his finger! But it's cute so I had to keep it!
Jacob and I are going to get down there sometime after noon on Sunday! I don't know what time because I have no idea how this is going to go with just the two of us. Scott is flying into Chicago on Thursday, which reminds me if you or anybody else wants to take a trip to Chicago on Thursday, let me know. Kori and Kendall both have class and mom is going to watch Jacob. I would like a companion for the trip up there! Let me know if you can!
Talk to you later! Thanks for signing the blog!
Kim

Anonymous said...

Sunday the First? I'm pretty sure I won't be able to go to Chi town if it means leaving anywhere between 9:30 am and 6 pm because I have to work, though I would much rather go to chi town with you. I'm glad to know that it is iodine on his finger because it certainly looks like something else!!!

Love You guy and can't wait to see all of you

Aunt Gail

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see him. We all miss him so much. He looks like he has changed a lot in the past couple of weeks. Can't wait for you to get here - girls can't wait either. Can Emma stay with some that week since she doesn't have school? She would love it!

Anonymous said...

Karen,
This is why I HATE working!!! I wish Emma could come stay with me and I wish I could go to Chicago with Kim. That Randy, he's such a slave master!!

Aunt Gail

Anonymous said...

Scott and Kim,

Just got the picture of your little man. What a cutie! Congratulations! Have fun watching him grow and develop...you'll be amazed!
Happy Parenting (calving, too!!)

Rob & LeAnna

Anonymous said...

Okay Kim and Scott, it has been almost a week without any new pictures of Jacob!!

Anxiously Awaiting More Pictures,

Aunt Gail