Monday, May 21, 2007

To feed cereal, or not to feed cereal...

There is something about the event of feeding a child cereal that seems to create a discussion no matter who one is talking to. After becoming a mother, I have found that the opinions of those mothers more experienced than myself can be extremely helpful when overcoming an obstacle your child puts before you. However, never did I realize that the majority of discussions would lead to the question, "Have you started feeding him cereal yet?" Realizing this topic has been debated for years by doctors and parents, and will probably continue to be for many years to come, I found it easiest to answer simply, "No, not yet." Thinking this answer would be sufficient enough for most, I would somehow be caught off guard when many would respond with, "You should really think about starting him on cereal." This advice I have heard from week two of Jacob's life.
I realize thoughts and opinions on whether to feed an infant cereal or not have changed numerous times throughout the years. Today, doctors strongly urge you to avoid feeding cereal until at least four months of age. Most prefer you to wait even longer if you can. I asked Jacob's doctor about feeding him cereal and I was comforted with her response. She explained that we, as adults, get in a hurry to feed babies food. It seems like that's what they should be doing, right...eating like we do. However, most don't need to. She agreed that too many people automatically think a fussy baby is hungry and that something is wrong if their baby is not sleeping through the night. Some babies need a little extra food earlier because milk or formula just doesn't give them enough. I told her I didn't think Jacob seemed hungry. He is satisfied after he eats. She reassured me that I was not depriving my son by waiting to feed him cereal, which was what I was starting to wonder.
Last week, we did decide to start introducing cereal to Jacob. We figured if we wanted this kid to be able to eat baby food around six months of age, we'd better start working on him now since he takes so long to adapt to new things. Jacob went for two or three days having to be fed every 2 - 2 1/2 hours instead of his usual 3 - 4 hours. We decided this would be a good time to introduce cereal. Come to find out, there's never a good time to introduce new things to Jacob. What do you think Jacob did the first two days? That's right....screamed, screamed, and screamed! He clinched his mouth after the first two bits and arched his back trying to get away from the spoon. We were persistent though, as we've found we have to be, and Jacob has eaten two entire servings (1 Tablespoon each) of cereal. He has to sit in my lap while he's eating, but none the less, he's eating it.
As with most issues that come up with a newborn or infant, there are so many different point of views and everybody seems to have had a different experience with their children. I have to give this topic some credit. It kept nine women busy talking during an entire coffee hour at church one Sunday. Everybody shared and laughed about their experiences with cereal with me and in the end, we came to the conclusion that whether Jacob eats cereal now or not until he's six or seven months old, he'll be just fine. You can guarantee, though, that every new mother from now until eternity will hear that same question just as I did and the discussion will continue.






6 comments:

bug seth tua pip said...

I suppose everything is daunting to a little baby. Your doctor sounds like mine. She says the longer you can put it off the better. I agree that everyone talks about cereal...what's the big deal? Has he started laughing yet? Leah has moved to IN for good or for the summer? She looks very happy in the car. I suppose she is because she knows she is going on an adventure.

Anonymous said...

Our family doctor, Dr. Means, said to not worry about giving you girls food (when you were infants!!!!). In fact, he said an infant can go up to a year without solids. And it seems to me that most babies do not sleep through the night if they've been given cereal and that's usually the reason for giving it. Most adults just cannot imagine going without solids and, therefore, can't imagine babies going long without solids. It sounds like Jacob was going through a growth spurt there for a few days. Maybe that was the time to introduce cereal. Time will tell!!!! Hurry with new pictures, I can't wait to see his new trick!!!

Nick and Kelly McCormick said...

What new trick??

Not having kids yet...I have to say that I think the cereal looks like it's much more high maintenance than the bottles...more clean -up in any case!!

Question: don't they link feeding cereal at too young of an age to allergies later in life? Thought I heard that somewhere...

Anderson said...

Yes, Kelly, I've read that throughout my study of whether to start feeding him or not and yes, the cereal is really messy! Especially when a stubborn baby like ours decides he's going to clinch his mouth and blow air through it sending the cereal flying!
The cereal hasn't helped Jacob sleep any longer so far. Still up every three to four hours to eat! Who knows, maybe when he starts eating more. I think he's going to make me get up at night for as long as he can! That just seems to fit his personality.
Kim

ps - pictures of his new trick(s) will hopefully get posted tomorrow morning...i need to go to bed!

Anonymous said...

Kim, I've known moms who started
putting cereal in the bottle and
made the hole in the nipple bigger, as well as moms who let
their baby go until nearly their
first birthday before introducing cereal. But I agree with Dr.Means
and the first mom above who started at two to three months wound up with an obese child. I wonder what Dr. Oz says, do you know anyone with his book? I've got the one about diet, but I
haven't read it so can't say if
he addresses this in that book!
I DO remember hearing him say on
Oprah once that bananas and avo-
cadoes are good choices for a
baby's first foods, they are both
easily mashed, high in nutritional
value as well as easy to digest.
I remember my mother using bananas
as a first solid food for my twin
brothers when they started on solids and she had nursed them for
quite some time. We just mashed
them up very fine( before the day of Gerber's in the late forties).
It may have been that she and my Dad felt that the commercial
stuff cost too much or that home-
made would be better,who knows?
Avocadoes---Don't know about them,
but they might hit Jacob's spot.
I promise to look in my Oz book
to see if it's in there.
Love to all of you---Grandma B.

Anonymous said...

Kim,

As I said, I was never in a hurry to start the cereal. He'll take it when he's ready. Just make it available to him every now and again. He'll come around.

Aunt Karen